Oh the joys of moving. Tape stuck to tape, torn boxes, and…wait…did I just pack the car keys? Reduce the headache of moving into a new home by following these tips!
Before You Pack:
1. PLAN YOUR MOVE WELL IN ADVANCE: This will help you avoid a last-minute frenzy. For a timeline and checklist, visit https://upack.com/sites/default/files/pdf/movingchecklist.pdf
2. PROTECT CRITICAL PHOTOS AND FILES: Store copies on a portable hard drive you can carry with you, or upload them to a free cloud server such as Google Drive or Dropbox.
3. PHOTOGRAPH YOUR CORDS: Shoot images of the connections on your television, sound system, modem and computer so they’re easier to reconnect in your new home.
4. MAKE PLANS FOR PETS: Reduce your pets’ moving stress by boarding them at a kennel or with friends.
5. GET A MOVERS GUIDE FROM THE POST OFFICE: This will help you notify service providers of your new address. It also includes $750 in coupons for businesses and services you might need. Your post office has printed copies or you can fill out a digital version at https://moversguide.usps.com
While You Pack:
6. COLOR-CODE YOUR PACKING BOXES: This will make it easy to match them to the right rooms in your new home.
7. MARK ESSENTIAL BOXES SEPARATELY: Anything you’ll need immediately after move-in should be marked in red. And make sure the important boxes get loaded last so they come off the truck first.
8. CREATE A FIRST-NIGHT BOX OF ESSENTIALS: Include medications, toothbrushes, changes of clothing, and anything else you’ll need immediately.
During the Move:
9. DON’T BOX VALUABLES OR IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS: Put jewelry, passports, birth certificates, et. in a special Move File and hand-carry them in your own car.
10. PACK A FIRST-DAY CLEANING KIT: Include a vacuum and cleaning supplies so you can freshen cabinets, closets and counters before you move your possessions in.
11. MAKE A FURNITURE MAP: Plot where all the large furniture pieces will go to simplify set-up. You can use graph paper or a free layout tool like homediary.com
After the Move:
12. SAVE ALL RECEIPTS: If your move is associated with a new job or a transfer, you may be able to deduct some of the costs.
Any questions about moving, or help finding a new place to move into, we are only a phone call or email away! Make the Treasure Coast your new home in paradise!
Danielle MacCarthy, REALTOR