We’ve all driven by a property and thought, “What in the world were they thinking?”
Sometimes the advice promoted by fixer upper shows, trending celebrities, magazines, or even our own drive to create something fun and unique can lead to a project disaster. Let’s address the top 5 things you can do that will place your property on your neighbors Worst Curb Appeal List.
- Large Decrepit Figurines all over your yard or home. Garden gnomes have taken a turn for the hysterical lately with the whimsical figurines traveling in hot air balloons, fishing from ponds and even driving in classic cars. They can add a touch of fun and imagination to a well kept landscape. However, if your gnomes are hosting a garden party for the reflective sphere’s, lawn flamingos, cabbage patch dolls and other random assorted characters (recognizable or not), then you may have stepped past the pleasant and forced your home into what many would consider a nightmare when it comes to curb appeal.
- Leaving your yard “natural”. Florida residents especially love to plant native species keeping with not only the Florida theme, but a manageable landscape that does’t require an irrigation schedule. This look leads to a tropical paradise of palms, sea grapes, shelled outdoor areas and brings around visions of the beach and ice cold margaritas. When you look at these homes that have perfected the natural landscape, you can smell the salt air and feel your troubles melting away no matter how far you actually are from the beach. The opposite of that would be the homes that claim the natural approach, but only because they don’t ever want to touch a lawnmower again. Overgrown and unkempt looking properties not only become a stain on the neighborhood, but can lead to pest and rodent problems as well. Don’t mistake unkempt for natural (aka bad curb appeal).
- Spot-paint the stained areas – don’t waste time, money or effort on something that can be partially completed. This is probably the worst advice we have heard being passed on. Not only will exterior paint be a completely different color on the ‘spot treatments’ due to sun bleaching, but if one spot needs to be touched up, it’s only a short matter of time before the other areas will need to be touched up. Better to repaint, re-stain, pressure wash the entire area. Don’t be afraid to spruce it up and make it look beautiful! One helpful trick is to take a walk around your home from time to time. Most of us pull into our driveways and can get a good look at the front of our home. We spend time out back are able to see any issues that need to be addressed, but the sides of our homes are largely forgotten and can become pretty unsightly in a short amount of time. So take a walk every month or so to check out what’s going on and make a list of items that will need to be addressed.
- Painting your home crazy vivid colors or wild patterns. I’ve heard stories of rebellion against HOA’s, a spiteful response to arguments with neighbors and the infamous “I just like it.” as reasoning for the crazy colors and patterns of what were and could still be beautiful homes. Our advice is not trying to belittle anyone’s colorful or artistic preference in choice, but rather to advise that you seek out a professionals help when it comes to creating a beautiful and striking palette for your home. Professionally done, a home can be as unique as the person who lives in it, while also being tasteful and in harmony with it’s surroundings. So if you are into cows, like really into cows, talk to a decorator or designer that could help you achieve your dream and maybe even excite the neighborhood instead of driving them away.
- Storing garbage cans and recycling bins out front. Instead, place them in your garage, on the side of your home, or build something fun, efficient, and beautiful that you can store these bins in. We have seen a TON of ideas for pallets garbage can holders, and even storage spaces that additional items such as bicycles, yard equipment, and even pool floats are being kept in! Keeping this area clean and organized will not only help deter raccoons and other pesky animals, but will keep your facade looking fresh, lived-in, and give you great curb appeal.
Now you may be asking, but what about some tips to create great curb appeal? Do we have a treat for you! Here are the top 5 quick ways to spruce up the look of your home.
- Paint your front door. Go from Shabby to chic in one easy coat! The vast array of colors available for a front door remodel will make this task a quick and beautiful update. And the best part, front doors are a fairly small part of most home exteriors. So, if you paint it, and hate it, a color change is quick, simple, and cheap. Most paint sections in your local home improvement store will provide color cards and charts where you can match your homes current exterior color and choose a complimentary color that is sure to pop and stand out for years to come.
- Add some color to your landscaping. What better way to spruce up your home than by adding some bright beautiful flowers, shrubs, trees and mulch! Trimming hedges that are already anchors in your landscaping can bring new life to your yard and adding a palm or ornamental tree can bring a bit of that tropical lifestyle and shade. Re-mulching can also be a cheap fix that quickly adds a brighter and more uniformed look. Annuals that will bloom year round and for years to come can be potted for multiple arrangements and easy care.
- Clean up any wood rot! If you are walking around your home and happen to notice an eaves, soffit, column or any other place where the wood seems to be soft or damaged at all, replace it NOW! Leaving wood rot for a later project is never a good idea. Water damage can and will spread creating a potentially major issue out of what could have been an easy repair. Don’t leave it, fix it.
- Pressure wash your driveway, sidewalks and pavers. Filling in any cracks can also bring new life to your hardworking driveway with a fresh new look. Pressure washing can be done by hiring a professional (usually a pretty cheap option), or renting a pressure washer from your local home improvement store if you don’t have your own (an even cheaper option). What better way to get a brand new look for a little bit of money and time. And, if you want to get really crazy, try painting your driveway. There are plenty of professionals that can create a truly beautiful patterned look in colors matching your home. The results are long lasting and usually pretty affordable.
- Paint your home. Kind of like we talked about earlier, painting is really the best way to give your home the facelift it needs. Whether you repaint in your homes existing color or if you feel like trying something new, exterior paint is a relatively cheap option for sprucing up the look of your home. And, if your home is good on paint, but needs a quick touch up, pressure wash your walls and get the gutters! Most homes need exterior paint every 10 years depending on the quality of the paint that was used. So if you aren’t due for another coat, and you aren’t looking to change the color, just pressure wash to remove the built up dirt or grime and leave a sparkling and beautiful exterior!
Thanks for tuning in, and if you have any questions for our team of professionals or would like a recommendation for a professional, don’t hesitate to call us! We are your one stop shop for everything real estate.
Action Realty | 772-581-8814 | firstname.lastname@example.org