We love summer! The sun, the surf, and the beachy vibes that spread through Florida are enough to make anyone go nuts over owning a piece of paradise. But sometimes, you just can’t seem to beat the heat. Luckily, we have lived through quite a few summers here and have some helpful hints for you and your home.
- Shade: When the clouds have disappeared and it’s just you and the sun, shady spots become the best real estate in town. But unless you have mature shade trees,
you may be lacking in the shade department. Not to worry, we have just the trick! If you are into gardening, a pergola might be for you. Pergola’s are sturdy structures that can whether most storms and are open enough that any climbing plant can call it home. Whether built from scratch or purchased from a local hardware or home goods store, pergola’s can be a beautiful and functional addition to any home. Not into gardening? Canvas tents or “shade trees” might be the answer. With weighted feet and a faux chandelier in the middle, what could go wrong! Shade Trees are also extremely versatile being able to mount in most walls or even fences, they can be strung across any spot to provide instant shade.
- Mist: Now that we’ve created some shady hideouts, let’s talk about misters. They are amazing! Misters can not only provide a much needed break from the sun by instantly cooling you down, but they can also be a source of entertainment depending on your guests. Turn up the power to entertain kids for hours. Lower it back down so the adults can enjoy a glass of something special out on the deck. Misters are a great way to keep enjoying the outdoors even during the summer. Easily mounted and coming in a range of variety, you will be able to find the perfect set up to match you homes decor.
- Calling all water lovers: Did you know that some genius came up with floating coolers? We know, it’s kind of crazy, but they work and we LOVE them. Whether in the pool or at the beach, these are a must have for any water lovers. Keeping your drinks cold and within arms length make this the perfect accessory for summer. Looking for a more permanent fix? If you have a pool, you are in luck, just take a look at the largest online retailer right now (hint hint: it starts with an Amazo…) and you will find all kinds of must have’s. For example, floating palm tree coolers with matching floating drink holders. With such a massive and festive selection, you and your guests will be set.
- Amazingly updated outdoor fans: For most of outdoor fan history, they have been sad tulip drooping affairs that really were just shameful. No longer! The outdoor fan selection available today is unbelievable. Made from composite, cast plastics or no blades at all, they are functional, beautiful and easily mounted. Lasting for years (even if you turn them off), they are the perfect addition for any outdoor space. Plus!!!! There are even outdoor models that will match indoor models. So upgrade to that tropical paradise palm frond fan inside AND outside! We couldn’t be more excited that this is a possibility. Especially for those who love to interior decorate!
- Optimize your windows: This may sound strange to some, but you can lower your a/c bill and keep cooler during the summer by tinting your windows. For those of you like us, we live in paradise, we want to see paradise out our windows. Curtain are for decoration and not much function in our homes. You can’t beat the sunlight and beautiful blues of our skies, and during summer, the fresh green foliage you can see out the window is invigorating! But that heat…..oh, that heat. With tinted windows, you can keep the view and block the rays reducing your a/c run time and that heat spike in the middle of the day. Think car tint on a home. You can also choose a reflective option that will act as a mirror. Perfect for anyone who lives in an active neighborhood, busy street or has a window close to walkways or neighbors.
We hope these helpful hints, tips and tricks will help you beat the heat this summer. And for more ways to keep cool and upgrade your home, check out our blog and find the latest in innovative ideas. Also, don’t forget, we are your neighborhood realtors!